Grant in Aid
Grant-in-Aid is an appropriation made by the General Assembly to support the activities of non-profit organizations which provide services to the citizens of Delaware. The purpose of this funding is to provide supplemental funding to service agencies and should not be construed as a sole source of funding.
To qualify for Grant-in-Aid, an agency must:
- Be an incorporated, non-profit (or under umbrella of parent organization which is an incorporated, non-profit) for at least two years prior to applying;
- Have By-laws that clearly state the purpose of the corporation and include definition of duties for Board of Directors;
- Have an active, community-representative, volunteer Board of Directors;
- Have personnel policies;
- Not pay any part of an elected official’s salary;
- Have competent executives, staffing, and reasonable facilities;
- Practice non-discrimination;
- Have accounting (budget) procedures
- Have an audit completed within the past three years by a Certified Public Accountant or a Public Accountant;
- Use funds in accordance with the application
- Demonstrate community support;
- Request funds only for a program which does not receive full funding from other sources of revenue;
- Attend one mandatory workshop; and
- Submit an online application no later than January 6, 2017 or Senior Centers by March 1, 2017.
Mandatory Workshop Information
Per the Fiscal Year 2017 Grant-in-Aid Appropriations Bill, Section 5, attendance at one of the scheduled workshops for those applying for grant-in-aid funding in Fiscal Year 2018 is required. Pre-registration is not required.
The next scheduled workshop is the Senior Center Workshop which will be held on Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10am – 12:00pm at Legislative Hall, House Chamber.
Fiscal Year 2018 Application
The Fiscal Year 2018 General and Veteran’s application deadline has been extended to January 6, 2017.
The Fiscal Year 2018 Senior Center application will be available December 2016. The deadline to submit the online application will be March 1, 2017.
To submit an application go to https://gia.delaware.gov.
Grant-in-Aid Categories and Contacts
Each Grant-in-Aid category is assigned a team of legislators from the Joint Finance Committee. The teams review the applications assigned to that group and make funding recommendations to the full Committee. Decisions regarding Grant-in-Aid are made by the Joint Finance Committee in late June. Historically, the Grant-in-Aid bill is the final appropriations bill enacted by the legislature on June 30th.
Overall Grant-In-Aid Coordinator – Kimberly Reinagel-Nietubicz
Notification of Joint Finance Committee meetings to discuss Grant-in-Aid are posted on the internet and provided to the media. Meetings are open to the public. Please check the Joint Finance Committee Public Hearing page to view the schedule.